Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Between A Rock and a Hard Life; Bernoulli & Law of Hydrodynamic Pressure

When Bernoulli was young he had accomplished to win 1st prize along with his father. But his father got mat that his son was equal to him, which was the sign of the relationship going in a bad direction. Bernoulli came from a family dominated mathematics for 50 years. Growing up in steps of his father was well, just a negative that his father was so selfish; he wanted everything for himself. Daniel Bernoulli grew up admiring his father and his work along with Isaac Newton which his father did not really have same view with. He was the first to try to both Leibniz and Newton's work into one, when both never seen eye to eye about anything. It was also really unfair how his father took credit for the Hydrodynamic work after Daniel had tried his whole life which was the reason he had gave up on mathematics. It was ironic how his father was why he wanted to go into the math, but again at the end it was his father that pushed him into giving up on math. It was well that the people afterward thought about how to name the equation which they used the family name Bernoulli instead of having one specific name to represent it. I just believe that it sucked for Bernoulli to try so hard at something he loved very much and at the end have to be uncredited because of his own father. =(

2 comments:

Kevin Mathews Tharakan said...

When I first read this I was also surprised by how the father reacted. I have never actually met a father who was not proud of this son or daughter even after they grew up to be as good as the father even at a young age; if I was in the shoes of this father, I will not be happy but ecstatic. The problem, in my opinion at least, lies in the fact that father, who was so busy of being jealous, failed to realize that he was the one who helped his son and made him who he was. And about the father taking credit for Daniel's work is completely unacceptable to me, but I too am happy that the people who named the principal named it after the family instead of a specific person. That is why I am happy to like in a society like today where these things cannot happen, because they can use your lab journal as proof to prove that you came up with something first and the other person stole your idea. Aren't you also happy that we live in such a society?

Kubra Tas said...

Yeah I was really suprised at the part the father being so jealous of his own son. It made me sad for Bernoulli, if I was in his shoes & my father was acting that way, I think it would have led me to give up on that thing I loved also.