Saturday, August 13, 2011

Apples & Oranges - Isaac Newton and the Universal Law of Gravity (Kevin Mathews Tharakan's 1st Post)

I believe that I can truly relate to Issac Newton, for example, when I was young I used to build things myself. While Newton went and watched the mill being built, I took about electronics and other things and tried to learn how they worked. Then later on, I would use the knowledge I gained to make myself toys and sometimes just experiment with ideas. Newton was and is an odd man, but in a very good sense, of course; he was a very religious man who also was a scientist that talked about how the world came to be. To many that might not seem like a big deal, but it is not commonly seen today because if some religious people find it hard to believe that the world is run by science and vice versa. It was a good thing that he was able to distinguish his beliefs, otherwise he would have never been able to think the way he did and come to all the conclusion he did such as the gravitational theory. I was also intrigued by how small things and events can reveal so much about how the world works. For example, the apple that feel down is what helped Newton come up with not only the gravitational theory but also the 3 laws of physics. He was however scared to publish his work because he was afraid what people would think of it, but lucky for us, even though he might have not published his work just think about what the world would be now if he had simply gave up on his works and never wrote anything down. It will not be terrible like most might think because as we read there was also another person who had the same ideas as him about gravity so, it would have not have been chaos if Newton stopped working, but it is just better that he did not. What do you think about these issues?

No comments: